Published on April 7, 2014 by David Sack, M.D.
Winston Churchill said, “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man,” he may have been more right than he realized. A growing body of research is beginning to confirm what has long been observed anecdotally – that animals can help us heal in ways both physical and psychological.
What is it about animals that can help us get back on track?
- Animals share a deep, genetic bond with us.
- Animals give us immediate, honest feedback.
- Animals lower barriers to communication.
- Animals are physically and psychologically comforting.
- Animals allow us to practice relationships.
- Animals take us outside ourselves.
- Animals teach us responsibility and self-control.
- Animals bring touch back to therapy.
- Animals improve our self-esteem.
- An Important Complement to Traditional Treatment
Click here to read the full article.